By MayaAlbert at 13:40 on 18/12/12
0 comments... add your comments below
Two-day free Mental Health First Aid course
The course is aimed at anyone interested in mental health, including people with mental health problems, their carers and family, and at people who may come across mental health problems in the course of their work.
Our next course takes place from Wednesday 23rd & Thursday 24th January at the North London Buddhist Centre (72 Holloway Road London, Greater London N7 8JG). The course runs from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on both days.
Mental Health First Aid training takes place throughout the year at venues around Islington. It is free for anyone who lives, studies, works or volunteers in Islington. The courses are run by the national charity Rethink Mental Illness in partnership with NHS Islington.
The course equips you with practical skills and background knowledge to assist adults experiencing emotional distress or mental illness. All participants receive a certificate and manual.
Some of the topics covered are:
• What's mental health?
• The five steps of mental health first aid
• Alcohol, drugs and mental health
• Anxiety disorders
• Self harm
• Eating disorders
People who are trained in Mental Health First Aid can help to:
• Comfort someone with a mental health problem
• Help to stop a mental health problem becoming more serious
• Preserve life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others
• Promote the recovery of good mental health
• Raise awareness of mental health issues in the community
• Reduce stigma and discrimination about mental health
To book a place on this course or to check future dates and venues, please go to http://tinyurl.com/d2jyleb or call 0207 840 3086.
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Repeats: Every Day until Thursday, January 24, 2013